Last time I was in Miami, Norman and I found Strawberry Cream Cheese cookies in the bakery section at Publix Supermarket. They were soft, chewy strawberry cookies with “cream cheese” chips (which I suspect were white chocolate chips. Nonetheless, they were amazing but there’s no Publix where I live. Rather than force Norman to ship me cookies whenever I have a craving, I decided I needed to make my own version as Valentine’s Day cookies.
As Valentine’s Day cookies go, these are quite simple to make but impressive enough for a fancy date. They are a little different than the Publix version because I stuffed them with cream cheese instead of using cream cheese chips. But being the cream cheese fiend that I am, I consider this an upgrade.
Also note that this recipe uses a box cake mix as its base (gasp)! This trick can be used not only for strawberry cookies, but for funfetti, chocolate, or whatever cake-to-cookie flavor your heart desires. I’m a fan of working smarter, not harder and that food can be delicious even when it’s not made completely from scratch. So please enjoy these semi-homemade cookies and all the time you’ll save not making them from scratch.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Cookies
- 1 box Strawberry Cake Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, and butter. Mix until dough forms. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl, mix together cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Refrigerate 30 mins.
- Taking about about a spoonful of dough at a time, flatten dough in your palm and add a dollop of cream cheese mixture. Then delicately fold the cookie dough over to encase the cream cheese into the center of a ball of dough. (If the dough is still sticky, try adding a bit of flour to your hands)
- Space the filled balls of dough 1-2 inches apart on a baking sheet and bake 9 to 11 minutes or until the sides of the cookies have lightly browned.