It’s almost time!!! We are just over one week away from the release of Disney Pixar’s Toy Story 4 and you better believe I’ve got some crafts planned to celebrate! The inspiration for these earrings hit after ordering a Toy Story dress online and trying to decide what jewelry and accessories to pair with it. I thought it would be cute (and more importantly, easy) to make Toy Story Alien (aka “Little Green Men”) DIY earrings. So here we are!
What you’ll need for your Toy Story Alien DIY Earrings:
- 2- 1.5 in Green Pom Poms
- 6- 8mm Googly Eyes (or Wiggle Eyes)
- 2 green pipe cleaners
- long earring hooks or stud earring backings
- hot glue gun
- black felt (leftover scraps from a previous project is plenty)
What to do:
- Start by rolling each pom pom back in forth in your hand. These balls start off round so we roll them to give it a bit more of an oval shape for the alien heads. Set the pom poms aside.
- Cut two pieces of pipe cleaner that are about 2.5 inches each. Roll the tops of each piece into a small ball. These will become the aliens’ antennae.
- For the ears, cut another small piece of pipe cleaner about 2 inches long and bend it into a tiny right triangle. Repeat this 3 more times.
- Cut mouth shapes out of the black felt. For this, I recommend finding a picture of the Toy Story aliens and choosing your favorite expression(s). I went with a regular smile for one and the iconic “OooOooh” for the other.
- Now it’s time to attach your pieces to the pom poms. Start with the antenna to see where the center of the head is when placing the other pieces. Bend the bottom of the antenna to create a base where you’ll apply the hot glue. When placing the antenna, try to move aside some of the “fluff” from the pom pom and set it right in the center of the head (see figure 1, below). Next glue the ears to either side of the head making sure the antenna is centered on top (see figure 2). Then glue on the eyes (3 on each head) just below the antenna, followed by the mouth which should go just below the eyes (see figure 3).
- The last step is the most important. It’s time to attach your earring backing or hook. The choice is yours, but the easiest option is the stud backing. Simply glue it onto the center back of the alien head and you’re done.
However, I prefer earrings that hang. So I opted for the long hooks. Dip the tip of the hook down the barrel of the glue gun so you can coat it with glue. Then insert it into the center of the pom pom (behind the antenna). It’s a little tricker because the antenna is already taking up the center space of the pom, but after a few tries, I managed to make room for them both.
Toy Story 4 comes to theaters next Friday, June 21, 2019 and I hope you’re all as excited to see it as I am. If you’re rocking your Toy Story Alien diy earrings to the movies (or anywhere else) be sure to post them on Instagram and tag me @erikaenchanted and/or use the hashtag #castlecravings!