Today’s the big day!!! Pixar Pier at the Disneyland Resort is officially open and I couldn’t be more excited. That said, I’m currently at Disney World on the other side of the country and won’t be back at my home park until later this summer so I guess I’ll just have to wait. But fret not! If you’re like me and have to whexperience the fun of the new pier, here’s a fun and simple Pixar inspired grilled cheese recipe to help the time pass!
- 2 slices of bread
- tomato (1 thick slice per sandwich)
- sliced cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tsp butter
- blue food coloring
- You’ll also need a star shaped cookie cutter and both meduim and large round cookie cutters
- Start by prepping your sandwich ingredients. Cut the bread in to two large circles. Then take one of the circles and cut out a smaller circle in the center leaving only the outter rim. (Circle shaped cookie cutters are helpful here, but if you don’t have any, free-handing a circle with a knife works as well).
Butter one side of each circle of bread and set aside.
- Put the cream cheese in a small dish and add the blue food coloring a couple drops at a time until you achieve the desired color (the goal is the shade of blue on the Pixar Ball). Set aside.
- Take a tomato slice and use the star cutter to create a star-shaped tomato slice. Set aside.
- Place the ring-shaped bread in to a skillet over medium-high heat for about a minute or so and then flip it over to lightly toast both sides. Remove from heat.
Next place the circle-shaped bread in the skillet butter side down, place sliced cheese on top, followed by the toasted ring-shaped bread and cook until the bottom of the sandwich is toasted and the cheese is melted. Remove from heat and place the star-shaped tomato in the center of the sandwich.
- Lastly, spread the blue cream cheese around the outer rim of the sandwich. Serve warm and enjoy!