Nothing makes me happier than street style with a little Disney flair, so I thought it would be cute to rejuvenate an old pair of my daughter’s overalls with some 1990’s Minnie Style. For this Denim DIY I made a bleach gel (inspired by a YouTube video I found, here) and added bleached polka dots to the overalls, leaving them resembling Minnie’s vintage blue dress!
And then I had a little left over and decided to add a bleached-in Mickey to my own denim shorts!
What you’ll need:
- ¾ cup cold water
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 4-6 Tbsp bleach (the video suggests more, but I found that more than 6 made my gel too runny)
- squeeze bottle, with a fine tip
- old pair of denim overalls (or jeans, shorts, skirt, etc)
What to do:
- In a small saucepan, whisk together water and cornstarch. Then place it on the stove over medium heat and continue to whisk until mixture develops a thick, custard-like consistency. Remove mixture from heat and allow to cool completely (about 15 minutes).
- Add bleach and whisk until blended completely, then pour into squeeze bottle (use a funnel, if necessary).
- Use squeeze bottle to draw and fill your polka dots, but be careful not to over-saturate the denim. I free-handed my polka dots because I think the sort of “imperfect” look gives it more of a 90’s vibe, but feel free to use a stencil or cookie cutter for more perfect circles. And of course I couldn’t resist adding a hidden Mickey to the pocket. 😉
- Let the bleach gel set for about 45 minutes (longer for whiter polka dots, shorter for more subtle dots). Rinse thoroughly and then wash and dry as usuall using detergent.
- Put it on and rock those dots! Enjoy your new denim DIY and don’t forget to tag me if you try it because I’d love to see!!!