Today marks the 14th anniversary of Pixar’s Finding Nemo! I realized this at about 9pm last night, just as I was beginning to develop a sweet tooth. The kids were already asleep and I’ve never been much of a late night muncher myself, so while I wanted to satisfy my craving, I also wasn’t prepared to indulge in anything too heavy or sugary. With that (and Nemo) in mind, I began to search my kitchen for the perfect snack…but what I found was that “grocery shopping” has moved its way up to the top of my to-do list. Luckily, I also found plain greek yogurt, a couple oranges, and some leftover chocolate chips… and thus, this grown-up sweet tooth solution (aka the “Lucky Fin” Parfait) was born.
- 2 large oranges (peeled and sliced)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- plain greek yogurt (or vanilla, for a sweeter parfait)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (finely chopped – I used a food processor)
- 1/2 lime (optional)
- Place oranges in to a food processor and pulse (just a couple times)
- Move the oranges to a small saucepan. Add sugar and corn syrup and simmer over medium heat, stirring often until thickened. Remove from heat and allow orange mixture to cool completely. Once cool, add in the juice from the lime. The lime juice is optional, but I found that doing this really enhanced the flavor of the orange mixture and I highly recommend it.
- Layer the ingredients in a tall glass, alternating between thick layers of the yogurt and orange mixture and thin layers of the chocolate chips. There’s really no wrong way to layer a parfait, but I chose to top mine off with yogurt and added one last dusting of chocolate and some orange sprinkles I happened to have on hand.And voila! Truly one of the most delicious impromptu desserts I’ve ever made and definitely the easiest. As always, I’d love to hear from you if you decide to give this recipe a try! Be sure to tag @erikaenchanted_ and/or #castlecravings when posting your parfait pics and let me know what you think!